Thursday, January 9, 2014

First Medical Monday!

This is my first time linking up to the Medical Monday Blog Hop (obviously posting a little late)! I am so happy to have discovered an entire network of women blogging their medical lives. It is so neat and encouraging to “meet” other women in the same/similar life situation as me.

I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday season with family and friends. My husband (whom I refer to as Prince Charming or PC) and I had a great time with our families back in the Pacific Northwest. As I’ve written of before I have missed family a lot as I have never really been away from them, especially my little brothers (who aren’t so little anymore), so it was nice to be able to spend some time with them. We basically spent a week at my family’s house and a week at my husband’s family’s house. It was so good to see everyone again!

While there we also had a baby shower as we are expecting in April. We asked for gift cards since we were traveling by air and wouldn’t have much travel space, but friends were very generous and in spite of bringing an additional bag ourselves, we needed to borrow another one from my parents! But we were happy to see a bunch of old friends and grateful for their generosity.

Getting home was also an adventure… We were scheduled to come back the Friday before PC started up classes again, thinking that it would be nice to have a couple days at home to rest up from our vacation (why is it that I always feel like I need a vacation after a vacation?) and get used to the 2 hour time change (I feel so old for saying that). Honestly, weather didn’t even factor into our decision to come home at that time. Well, let's just say that next year it will! Our flight Friday morning was cancelled due to the crazy winter weather at home in Chicago, and the soonest flight they could put us on was Sunday. So back to my parent’s house for a couple days. Come Sunday morning, and our flight was cancelled again and the soonest we could get a flight with that airline was Wednesday night! Well PC was supposed to start school on Monday and didn’t really want to miss three days of the first week, and by that point we were ready just to be home (2 weeks of living out of a suitcase is plenty). So we ended up switching airlines (paying extra of course) and getting a flight that was supposed to leave later that morning. Then that flight got delayed about 4 times. Finally though, we arrived home Sunday night, and our good friends picked us up, took us home, and even brought us dinner! As it happened, PC’s classes on Monday were cancelled due to the subzero temperatures, which was so nice because we had an extra day to settle down after all the business. I know I’m probably just a wimp when it comes to this kind of weather and the complications that come from it, but growing up in the Pacific Northwest I’ve just never had to deal with (or even think about) all the difficulties that a harsh winter can bring. I definitely have a greater respect for all those people who have lived with them their whole lives.

So needless to say, next Christmas we’ll be giving ourselves an extra couple days of leeway at the end of our trip. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to Medical Mondays! I am glad you were able to get home for the holidays and celebrate your baby shower with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! Enjoyed reading your blog. Glad you were able to enjoy the holidays with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! Visiting via MM Blog Hop!

    I live in Seattle - hope you had a great visit!

    Ray Doc Wife

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by everyone!

    @Lisa Kothari- We did, thank you! Both of us are from Washington state and are definitely looking forward to moving back someday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up with medical Mondays! I totally empathize with the missing family thing. We moved away for my husbands residency 6 years ago and are finally moving back for his first real job in July. Congrats on the baby! Excited to follow your journey :)

    ReplyDelete